Wednesday, February 11, 2015

December Thirty First - Birth Story

This story I have been meaning to write for a while.  Just so I can remember all the details and describe it when I still remember all of them.

It all began on December 15th we were driving home to Big White from Kelowna.  I had just finished prenatal yoga and up to this point I was having the most amazing pregnancy.  In fact, I loved being pregnant.  I was walking hiking lots from the village to home (in fact the day before I did that trek three times).  We had friends and family over on the weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed having everyone around.  That night, I was heading into bed and I had signs of early preterm labour.  I was freaking, I mean I was only 32 weeks along and babe was not ready for the world yet.  So we slept and drove down the next day to see our Midwife.  We were told I am already dilated and I needed to take it easy.  So I did, I completely slowed down.  However, more signs of preterm labour started to creep up on us throughout that week and finally by the end of the week we were back down but this time at the hospital.  We spent the night at the hospital they thought my water had broke but all tests came up inconclusive.  At this point, I was terrified and both Jenn and I felt like we have been going up and down on an emotional roller coaster.  I had to take my last week of school off (which really hit home) I am in love with my job and I was devastated I couldn't see the Christmas Play we had been working on.

The labour signs escalated more and more and finally I really felt my water broke on Christmas Day.  It was terrible timing, we were at Jenn's parents house and the whole family was over for dinner.  We left the house and went straight to the hospital and again the tests couldn't say what was happening to my body.  Finally, on December 30th my contractions were coming on stronger and I was no longer able to sleep through them.  I went to the hospital with Karen and we were told I was going into labour and that I was having this baby.  The contractions were bearable, I wasn't scared of giving birth, I just listened to everyone and set my mind completely on the end goal.  Playing sports my whole life I think really made me get into this deep focus of what I needed to do.  I'm not too sure time wise when things changed but it was fast.  My body went from feeling these cramps and pains to  this more intense pressure that took over my whole body.  The midwife knew it was time and Jenn was next to me coaching me the entire time.  Jenn was the most amazing co-pilot in this journey.  I would NOT let her leave and she needed to hold my hand the entire time.  I pushed for four hours with Jenn holding my hand, my mom helping me into positions, and my amazing midwife coaching me on what I needed to do.  I don't think anyone can describe to you what birth is like but for me, the pain was something I could control and I knew when it was going to come.  I had to channel the energy downwards and I rested completely between the contractions.  My eyes were closed and my body relaxed.  I can remember that release of pressure when Finn came into this world and they placed him on my stomach.  I had Finn completely natural and I knew I was strong enough to handle the contractions.  I was completely overwhelmed with emotions, adrenaline, and joy.  My heart was racing, my energy was gone, it's a boy.... Finn was here.  He came into this world five weeks early at 12:15 am on December 31st, healthy 4 pounds 15.5 ounces.  

Afterwards, it sort of is a blur because I did the same thing everyday for three weeks straight.  He needed to gain more calories so that he could have energy to eat on his own.  So he stayed in the nursery and I drove to and from everyday from 8 am to 8 pm.  It was the hardest three weeks of my life.  I cried lots leaving him at the hospital and everyday it felt like I was leaving my heart at that hospital and going home hollow.  When we were able to take him home my heart was overflowing and I felt whole again.  We haven't looked back since and I couldn't ask for a sweeter child.  Finn is such a good baby and I can't wait to show him this wonderful world we live in.

Welcome to the world Finn Austin.  Our adventures have just begun.

PS: I haven't told a lot of people but I wanted to get my placenta encapsulated.  Sounds weird but it is the best medicine for your body.  Honestly, something to even just look up and read up on.  I was scared to take the first one thinking that my placenta was bad because I had Finn so early.  However, I think it really helps regulate my whole body emotionally and physically.  I had energy, healed well, and I definitely feel that my placenta had something to do with it.  I had it encapsulated by Sara Spada at Birth Kelowna and she done an amazing job.

PPS: The "moment" the most amazing moment with Finn.  It was only a couple days after he was born.  I was alone in the nursery.  Finn's nurse - J, who is the most amazing nurse and so good at her job asked if I would like to do skin to skin with him.  I, of course, said yes!  I was still in the hospital myself and wearing the hospital gown.  She unsnapped my gown and I sort of jumped.  I didn't know what she was doing.  She quickly unwrapped him and got him naked and placed him on my chest.  The moment he touched my chest I burst into tears.  J smiled and walked away and let me have my time with Finn.  I continued to cry staring out the window as the snow fell with my son pressed against my chest.  I did it!  I brought him into this world and I was going to take good care of this boy.  I will never forget that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment