It sure has been nice to stay put for a little while. We were in Reggio for eight days and it was very relaxing and enjoyable. A big dream of mine was to visit the Loris Malaguzzi Centre and I am still in awe that I was able to complete that wish. If you haven't read the post about our visit here it is.
For the remainder of our stay we took in all that Reggio has to offer. I bought this book at the LMC and it was a City Guide of Reggio written by the local kids. So we used their knowledge to tour the city. We visited the many piazza's, markets, and sites to see.
The "pigeon" piazza. There are lots of pigeons at this one. Finn loved it! haha.
The "tree" piazza. If you haven't noticed we have come up with our own lingo for where we go and the sites we see. If you can believe it, Finn loved this piazza too. This one had leaves and pigeons... (double bonus) well and trees duh!
When we left on this adventure Finn had one tooth and now he has six teeth!
I was very scared Finn was going to catch a pigeon... then what?
Anyone who knows me, knows I have a HUGE fear of birds. I told Jenn she just needs to lock me up in a room with birds so I can get over this fear! However, I took a big leap this day and fed the birds.


The "lion" piazza.
The kids of Reggio said they built these lions just for kids to play on. I thought that was pretty cute. It makes sense that these big lions were built for kids! It was written in this book that generation after generation of children have been playing on these lions. So the teachers of these Reggio students talk about playing on them as well. I think when a city has so much history it's hard to fathom how old everything is (if that makes sense at all).
The park near our house. We came here almost everyday!
So I had the best day ever visiting the LMC and I was lucky enough to go back there not once but twice afterwards! We came on the Sunday for the Ray of Light Atelier playtime. Going through this exhibit again was such a neat experience.
Finn is in this picture. He has the green mask on!
Then the next day, we headed there again for me to do some more reading and more learning. If I only take one thing (which isn't possible) from observing the exhibition it is that we do not use good enough art supplies with our students. I know I buy the cheapest and crappiest supplies because I have so many students and not a lot of money. But honestly looking at the work these kids produce it is amazing and worth it. The kids were using paint pens to colour! Watercolour pencils to add shading. They were using the cream of the crop and I wanted it all! haha.
I would like to take credit for this photo but I can't. It's a photo on a wall in Reggio Emilia (and I couldn't see a name to give credit). However, I have noticed the people of Reggio are so friendly. They are such a welcoming community and I always felt very comfortable here. I think this photo is just beautiful. The romance is alive here in Italy!
Oh weird Finn found a swing here in Reggio too! I also noticed that Italians love babies! Like beyond the normal person. We were walking down the street and a garbage man stopped unloading the trash cans to make babbling sounds at Finn. He then proceeded to smile at him and say in Italian how adorable and pudgy he is (I am guessing on the last part). Another time a group of ladies having coffee got up (all three of them) and crouched on the floor to adore Finn. They kept saying how beautiful he is (that time it was in English so I am not making it up). I'm biased and think our kid is the cutest kid in the world but here in Italy they are confirming it.
We found this delightful coffee shop near the "tree" piazza. Notice how Finn is a blur well get used to it folks because this kid is a mover and a shaker. It's hard to capture him lately!
^^ I am contemplating this one in black and white. Thoughts?
The "tree" piazza. Can you guess why we call it that?
We were the only ones at the park today. It was raining but it didn't stop us!
We found it very helpful to put Finn in the swing and feed him. He sits still and he thinks we are going to swing him so he is happy haha (little does he know). So cute when he eats (not all the time but sometimes) he will say, "mmm" afterward each bite.
He got a new coat in Italy! When we lost our luggage in Rome we bought him a coat.
Karen made us this amazing dinner for our last night. She was inspired from the Expo which was all about food to make us a cuisine. We had spinach and pumpkin (which tastes like squash) ravioli and Ragu! It was absolutely delicious!! Karen went and visited the Expo in Milan. I think she enjoyed the experience however the poor woman had to wait in a line-up for 5 hours to see one pavilion.
It's been a slice Reggio but we are off to Venice. This will be our last stop in Italy before we head back to Paris. I can't believe our trip is nearing it's end already!



























No comments:
Post a Comment