Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Venice

It was quite exciting coming to Venice from Reggio Emilia.  We had been in a small town where there weren't as many sites and then to come to Venice and see all the canals, the people, and boats it really stirred things up!  Venice is beautiful and a very unique city in Italy.  It is unique because this city is basically here just for tourists.  No Italian residents live on this island (unless maybe the business owners and even then I question whether they live outside of the island as well).  This is the only city I swear in Italy that doesn't do siesta hours during the day (1pm-3pm).  Again, because tourists don't have siestas so I am assuming they just stay open.  It was great for us tourists because we could walk during the day and not worry about most places being closed.
I swear we got 100 photos of the canal.  Can one have too many photos of the canal?  Karen was very determined to get shots of reflections in the canal.  So lots of photos were taken by Karen this trip.  I will make sure to state the photo credit for her.  I loved all the colour here in Venice.

Jenn captured the happy pair strolling the streets.


Karen took these photos of us in sort of an abandoned store.  We were searching for an art exhibit but I think we found one better!

(Karen's photo)  I love this one of us!

Finn not smiling, it doesn't happen often, and I sort of like the serious look he is giving us.

Lunch on some steps with beer of course.  Beer is cheaper than water, so if you are thirsty you drink beer!

Again, pigeons are fierce here in Venice.  They are hungry and they are not that scared of people.  Finn and I were sitting here enjoying some crawling time and this man bent down with bread and just had a swarm of bird around us in 5 seconds.  Karen was able to capture the moment just before I ran away haha.

Every street is lined with souvenir shops like these ones. 

Jenn's photo of a gondola traffic jam.  Everything is shipped in by boat and then transported around by dollies.  There are lots of steps and bridges so getting things into Venice isn't easy.

Not sure if Jenn or Karen took this one but nonetheless it's a great shot.  To answer the question I know you all asking no we didn't take a gondola ride.  It was 80 euro ($120 Canadian) for a 30 minute ride and we just didn't have that big of a desire.

Another great photo Karen took.

Pizza, pizza, pizza.  It was everywhere!  We didn't eat out that often but when we did eat out we usually ate pizza!  So good and something we didn't get sick of.


I love this photo because I put it in front of Finn's eyes to take the photo.  So this is Finn's view from the carrier.  Not a bad view to stare at hey?

We took the public boat to see another island called Murano.  This island is famous for it's glass making.

 A public glass sculpture.


Finn was fed some spaghetti and meat.  He was taking in all Italy had to offer!

When we were eating our lunch the pigeons came swarming in and literally were at our feet pecking.  It was insane!  So Jenn took a bun and sacrificed herself for us.  Karen captured the moment the pigeons came on too strong for her. haha.

 We also toured this other island called Burano.  They are known to have all these colourful buildings (which made for some great shots).


Notice the reflections in this one!  I had to lay on the ground and put the camera close to the water to capture this one.

This photo was post nursing.  We find all these neat street spots to sit because of Finn.  Love the colour of the building we are against (didn't notice it until I looked at this photo).



 This was taken on the ferry ride back.  I was quite bitter because someone took my rail spot however this one I took in the air over his head.  Not bad hey?

 Karen was able to capture the sunset.  It was a beauty!

More reflections!  I saw this one and thought one more photo of the canal couldn't hurt!

Our lunch!  Yes, we were full afterwards haha.

Some of the streets are a tad narrow!

Our trip has changed a lot now that Finn is crawling more.  He likes lots of time to move and groove and we like it too.  

Some streets are narrow and some streets are short (if that makes sense).  

Always laundry out on the lines.  The clothes just add to the photos!

 Ciao Italy this month of getting to know you has been splendid.  You have taught me to use more oil when cooking, eat more pasta, take more siestas, and sit and enjoy your coffee.

 We are now hitting the last leg of our journey.  We are flying to Paris and in six days we will be home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment